web development using CSS
I have contributed several articles on CSS (Cascading Stylesheets), one of the languages used to write Web pages, to CSS Discuss. CSS Discuss (css-d) is a discussion and help forum for Web developers, consisting of a mailing list and associated Wiki.
I have provided links below to some of my articles. Please note that others may have amended my original articles since I wrote them. Many of these articles have selected links to further advice.
Media Stylesheets – how to write stylesheets for various media including print; Media Types and CSS3 Media Queries.
Also Media Defaults.
- Print Stylesheets – printing Web documents using CSS; stationery sizes; page breaks
- Handheld Stylesheets – how to design stylesheets for handheld devices
- Projection Stylesheets – how to design stylesheets for projection devices
- Speech Stylesheets – how to design stylesheets for voice browsers. I have provided a demonstration of voice browsing.
- Fluid Design – how to make Web pages fit a wide range of screen sizes; Media Types and CSS3 Media Queries. This site is itself an example – see fluid design using Media Queries.
- Diagnostic CSS – using CSS as a testing/diagnostic tool
- Progressive Enhancement using CSS – exploiting the advanced CSS support of modern browsers
- Which Browsers – deciding which browsers to use for development and testing
- Browser Stats – a guide to deciding which browsers to support
- Printing Page Headers and Footers
- Printing Tables – table headers and footers; controlling page breaks